Tuesday 15 November 2011

New Technique! Embossing Funky Foam with the Bigshot

 I'm so pleased with this! I had a brainwave the other day. I was making a page to go into my calendar (more on this here) and I wanted a brown textured backing to go behind something. But I wanted it to be a bit different, and a bit 3D, so I didn't want to just use card.

Enter: Funky Foam!


Now, I've tried embossing Funky Foam with the Bigshot before, with no luck whatsoever! The foam embosses, then after a few minutes the design sort of "pops" back out, and the foam is smooth again.

However, Funky Foam can be moulded. All you need to do is heat it with a heat tool (the one you would normally use for stamping and embossing) and then hold the foam in place until it cools.

So...




First, I cut the Funky Foam using a Nesting Die. This is one of the lovely new Postage Stamp dies from XCut.

The Funky Foam cut beautifully, so I was very impressed! Really clean, neat edges.


Next, I heated the Funky Foam with my heat tool, and in a mad rush before it had a chance to cool down, I slipped it into place in an embossing folder and ran it through the Bigshot.


I've used the lovely floral embossing folder from Papermania (co-ordinates beautifully with the new Urban Stamps I am so in love with by the way!)

I am so psyched with the results! Smudge a metallic gold ink pad ever so lightly over the top of the finished piece and it really looks like lovely aged leather!





To see what I did with this when I'd finished, have a look here:

Bare Basics Calendar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!